Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Witness of a heart bypass surgery

So this heart bypass surgery was yesterday and I didn't get to see the most interesting part--the sawing of the sternum but the rest of the surgery was just as interesting. Basically the surgery was to cut part of a vein from one of the patient's legs and connect it to the heart, like a bypass 'cause one of the patient's coronary arteries is blocked. For this heart surgery, the patient's blood circulation system and vemtilation system depended on two machines. So on the screen, there is no heart beat rate and stuff like that. This surgery was much more bloodier than the brain surgery yesterday. When I entered the operation room, the anestethist's son was alrealy in there. He's currently doing A Levels at Taylor's Subang campus. One of the highlights of this surgery was the surgeon accidentally punctured the heart and blood gushed out like a fountain(I'm serious), just like a mini fountain. And I was like o~~ The duration of this surgery was around 9 hours(from 8am to 5pm).Really long huh...I think the heart surgery is the most challenging surgery among the others 'cause if the heart fails, then the patient will die. So I guess it's really stressful being a heart surgeon. Another I thing I learnt was to be a surgeon, you've got to be good at sewing...seriously...Also, you cannot have shaky hands. Another thing noticed from all the operations that I've observed so far...all of the surgeons are males...how weird...Even the surgeon who was in charge of child birth was a male...hmm...Is it because males are more stable?I don't know...O and I got to have a look around the ICU unit...

1 comment:

  1. Coming soon , I will botox on my face.

    cher tieng ting !!! thank you so much for nice post and your sharing

    :)

    ReplyDelete