Monday, June 28, 2010

Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2010

Last Thursday and Friday, I volunteered for the Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 race pack collection. And I can say that was really a great experience...Since the first day of summer break, this was the first volunteer work that I've done so far. I have to admit that it was quite tedious though, volunteering from 12pm to 8pm for two days. But I learnt a lot from this experience. I took some pictures but because my comp 'kena' virus so I'd better not upload the photos just yet in case the virus 'infects' my phone. So basically what I had to do was to key in the runner's IC no. into the computer and pass a goodie bag (which includes the marathon singlet, a runner's guide, a New Balance 30% discount voucher and the runner's bib number) to the runner. As usual, there were times when there was an error with the computer system(for example, lag) and so the runner's had to wait and when they started to get impatient and questioned the problem, you could only answer that there was something wrong with the system. And then, some of them just explode like a volcano 'I've been queuing up for more than an hour and I still have to wait some more ar?' / 'You guys are so inefficient.' . Well... I have to admit that the system was a little inefficient though. Planning to volunteer again next year...maybe even join the marathon...maybe the 5km one...or the most, the 10km one... and this morning I was taken a back when my dad told me that someone collapsed and died while running the 10km category...According to the news, this young man died on the way to the hospital...and also the young man could not be saved also because the ambulance came late and it was not well-equiped...I guess the organisers will be having a hard time dealing with this problem...wish them all the best~~

1 comment:

  1. Actually that guy had a seizure, he knows he got heart problem yet he wants to go and run. May he rest in peace.

    Well done on being a volunteer, don't take the "volcanoes" so personally, they are just being impatient. I'm sure it's not the volunteers to be at fault.

    Take care. God bless.

    ReplyDelete